Disclosure: homelyee.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (paid link)
So, now you may be shouting:
Why is My Fabric Softener Chunky?
Your fabric softener is chunky because you didn’t store it correctly. Or maybe you mix them up with water or other chemical substance. Keeping them with the cap opened is also another major reason. To fix it, you can keep them in a bowl of warm water or just heat them in an oven for a few seconds.
Getting some hope again? It’s not a major issue. Just read the article and understand the reasons and solutions in detail.
How to Identify Whether Fabric Softener is Chunky?
Before you know the reason and solution, it’s important to identify properly that your fabric softener is chunky. First, you can easily identify it just by noticing the solution. But still, if you are confused, then here are a few signs that show that your fabric softener may be too chunky:
- It will be difficult to dispense from the bottle or container.
- The fabric softener will clog your washing machine.
- It leaves clumps or chunks on your laundry.
3 Reasons Your Fabric Softener is Chunky
It’s time for the main segment. Below I’ve added the 3 major reasons behind this issue. First, I’ll show them in a quick table with the preventions, and then I’ll individually explain them.
|Stored in the wrong way||Store in a cool, dry place without sunlight|
|Expiring shelf life||Use preservatives or purchase a small container|
|Contamination||Seal it properly and never keep it open|
Now let’s learn about them in detail
Reason 1: You Didn’t Store it Properly
The first reason here is your unconsciousness. If you don’t store the bottle of fabric softener properly, it can get chunky. For example, If you store it in a warm place or if you don’t seal the cap tightly, evaporation will cause softeners to become chunky.
- Always store the bottle in a cool, dry place.
- Make sure to close the cap of the fabric softener bottle after use to prevent the product from evaporating or spilling.
- Store the fabric softener away from sunlight/UV rays.
Reason 2: Expiring Shelf Life
Every Liquid fabric softener has a shelf life of about a year, and over time, they become less effective or expire. If you’ve had the same bottle for a long period of time, it may have reached the end of its shelf life and become chunky as a result.
- To avoid this expiring problem, always purchase a small container considering your monthly usage.
- Just like the previous one, make sure to store them properly. It’ll increase the shelf life.
- Finally, it’s better to get fabric softeners that use preservatives to increase the shelf life. If your fabric softeners don’t have the preservative, then you can manually add a small amount of a natural preservative such as citric acid or grapefruit seed extract to the bottle to help extend its shelf life.
Reason 3: Contamination
The third reason is very common, and we face it very often. Your fabric softener can become contaminated if it comes into contact with water or other substances. Plus, If your bottle has been left open or exposed to water, this could make the fabric softeners chunky.
- Never keep the bottle/container of the fabric softener open for a long time.
- Don’t make any contact between the fabric softener and other chemical substances/water.
How to Fix Fabric Softener that is Chunky?
There are several ways to thin out fabric softener and make it reusable. Below I’ve added 3 easy ways to do it.
Method 1: Warm Water Treatment
Maybe the easiest way to fix it is by following this method. So how to thin out chunky fabric softener using warm water,
Take a bowl and pour some warm water into it. Then take the bottle of the chunky fabric softener and put that into the hot water. Keep it in the bowl for 10 minutes, and it should get into the normal solution.
Method 2: Heat in the Microwave
If you have got an oven/microwave in the house, then it’s even easier. Just put the bottle into the oven and heat it for a few seconds. The fabric softener will get into the normal solution by getting heat.
Method 3: Add Watter
If the fabric softener got chunky due to age or infrequent use, adding a small amount of water can help thin it out.
NB: Make sure to mix it well to ensure that the ingredients are well-combined.
Can You Use Chunky Fabric Softener?
Yes, you can use chunky fabric softener until it gets expires. I’ve already mentioned the way to thin it out. Following them, you can make it normal and use it.
Now, what if you use it in thick form?
By now, you have understood why is your fabric softener chunky. You’ve noticed it’s natural to face this problem and nothing to worry about.
The prevention and solution of these problems are also very easy. In the end, I would say stay cautious while using it and store it properly. Have a good laundry time, bye-bye!