Disclosure: homelyee.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (paid link)
If water is backing up from your washing machine, the drain to the machine is probably clogged. A clogged sink is an annoyance at any time.
It’s unclean, ugly, and a pain in the neck. Depending on its severity, a plumber may be required to clear the blockage. But before you do that, we consulted two plumbers for their best recommendations on unclogging the drain on your own.
Important Considerations Before Beginning
- If the blockage persists, try plunging the sink. To unclog a sink, just fill it with water, set a plunger over the drain, and plunge 20 times.
- Get rid of the blockage by using a wet-dry vacuum. Start the vacuum and hold the nozzle against the drain for 10 seconds.
- To remove stubborn obstructions, unscrew the P-trap and scrub it with a wire brush.
Five Proven Ways to Clear a Clogged Washer Drain
Hot Water Boiling
The president of Bluefrog Plumbing & Drain, Mike Mushinski, claims that boiling water is the simplest method for unclogging a sink.
But there are risks associated with this procedure, he says. “If your pipes are not rated for a minimum of 212 degrees Fahrenheit, the boiling water could melt or deform your drain piping, which could cause leaks,” he said.
Only PVC or plastic pipes will be affected by this.
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
- Pour the water slowly down the drain.
- Take a brief pause in between each pour. To dissolve dirt, soap scum, and other substances, boil water and let it boil for a while.
- Repeat the process as needed.
Mixing Vinegar With Baking Soda
Although Mushinski warns against using this method on major blockages, he claims that combining baking soda and white vinegar will remove mild obstructions.
“If you choose this method, there should be no standing water in the sink, so the baking soda and vinegar can get to your clog faster and more effectively.
1. Empty a saucepan of boiling water into the sink.
2. De-clog the drain with one cup of baking soda.
3. Empty a cup of white vinegar into the gutter.
4. Place a drain stopper on top and allow five to ten minutes to pass.
5. Empty the pan of boiling water once more.
6. Do it again if needed.
According to Mark Dawson, COO of Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, plungers are useful for more than simply unclogging toilets. They may also clear up sinks. Here are the directions he gives:
- Disconnect the garbage disposal and, if desired, the dishwasher drain. Mushinski cautions that you should take precautions to prevent water from being forced into your dishwasher if it is linked to your kitchen sink through a garbage disposal.
“The dishwasher drain on a garbage disposal can be blocked off by using a conical rubber plug that is ¾ inch wide; you can simply push the rubber plug into the drain hole on the inner sidewall of the disposal,” according to him.
- pour a couple inches of water into the bathroom sink. In doing so, it generates suction, which the plunger uses to push water against the obstruction.
- Gradually lower yourself. The blockage should start to disintegrate and the water should start to drain after a few plunges.
- Empty the toilet tank. Let some water run down the drain for a few minutes to check if the blockage has broken down and the water flowing freely.
Dawson suggests utilizing a plumber’s snake, sometimes a drain snake, if the preceding techniques fail. If the blockage is small or near the drain’s opening, you can use any tool that can bend through the pipe, such as a plunger or drain stick, without damaging the pipe.
However, if the blockage is deeper in the pipe, Dawson suggests using a metal snake with a crank and explains how to do it:
Insert the serpent. To begin, insert the tip of the snake into the drain’s entrance. Then, turn the handle on the snake’s drum to advance it further down the pipe. The blockage has been encountered when you detect resistance.
Remove the obstruction. When you feel the obstruction loosen, you know you’ve succeeded in freeing the snake. You may release the clog from the pipes by turning the snake, which will cling to it and either pull it out or break it free.
Empty the toilet. To clear the blockage, run water down the drain for a few minutes.
Assistance With Strong Chemicals
To unclog a sink, pour bleach down the drain. One cup (250 milliliters) of undiluted bleach should be poured down the sink drain. After 5–10 minutes, turn on the water to the sink and let it flow down the drain for 5 more minutes.
- Before you try to unclog your sink again, turn off the water and let it drain if it starts to back up and fill with water.
- Bleach is not safe for septic tanks. Bleach eliminates all tank-dwelling bacteria, but the microorganisms it eradicates consume solid waste, keeping the lines unclogged.
- After using a drain cleaner or other chemicals, do not use bleach. The combination of bleach and ammonia produces a toxic gas hence it must not be mixed.
Ways To Avoid Clogs In The Future
- You shouldn’t put your trash can down the drain. You shouldn’t put fibrous veggies, large bones, or coffee grounds in the trash or sink.
- Grease and oil should not be poured down the drain. When it cools, it can solidify and create blockages.
- Watch out for hair, Q-tips, dental floss, and other objects that could fall into the sink while leaning over your bathroom sink.
- Never put paint down the drain.
- Purchase a filter to prevent food, hair, and other debris from getting into your sink.
- To keep the drain clear, run hot water down it regularly.
- To avoid potential problems, try using the baking soda and vinegar solution once a month. Before it becomes a big clog, it will remove the debris.
How Can I Clear A Clog In My Laundry Sink?
A drain auger or cable drain snake will be required to clear the obstruction. Hair, lint, or debris can become trapped in many components, including the overflow pipe, drain hole, inlet pipe, and even the basin itself.
How To Clear A Clogged Laundry Drain?
Locate the drain pipe and use pliers or a wire hanger to remove any visible debris or lint buildup. A plumbing snake or auger could be necessary to remove the blockage if it persists after this. To unclog drains, plumbers use plumbing snakes, which are long, flexible cables.
With What Tools Can One Clear A Clogged Drain In A Washing Machine?
You should check that your basin is dry and empty before continuing. After that, pour two cups of boiling water down the drain, then one cup of baking soda. Next, please wait for approximately three to five minutes. Put one cup of white vinegar and another cup of baking soda down the drain after this.
If A Sink Becomes Clogged, Can Vinegar Help?
You can avoid contacting a plumber for minor clogs in your sink by using baking soda and vinegar. Drain obstructions caused by mineral deposits can be easily removed using common home goods.
My Drain Is Clogged; What Can I Do To Remove The Buildup Of Vinegar?
Season with salt and baking soda. Pour approximately half a cup of each down the drain. Set aside at least half an hour, preferably overnight. After it has sat for a while, rinse it under running water.
If the clog continues, try employing a drain snake to unclog particularly tough pipes. Preventing such problems and ensuring a properly operating laundry sink requires regular maintenance and careful disposal of lint and debris.