Disclosure: homelyee.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (paid link)
You intentionally or accidentally put too much fabric softener on your clothes. And now it smells so strong that it’s unbearable. So, you are concerned about how to get fabric softener smell out of clothes.
Using vinegar and baking soda you can eliminate the smell. To do it mix water and baking soda with a 4:1 ratio and then pour the solution on your clothes. After that, soak it and leave the cloth in the solution overnight. Finally, put them in the laundry machine and add ½ cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. When it’s done just air dry them.
Aside from this method, there are 2 other methods to do this. Everything is discussed in this article with proper guidelines. So, keep on reading till the end.
3 Methods to Get Fabric Softener Smell out of Clothes
You can also read: Can You Mix Laundry Sanitizer with Fabric Softener
Before I keep describing the methods here’s a quick table for you to give you an idea of the methods.
|Vinegar and Baking Soda||Low||Moderate||Almost a day|
|Vinegar and Baking Soda||Low||Easy||Almost a day|
|Laundry Stripping Method||Medium||Moderate||Almost a day|
Method 1: Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
Step 1: Soak the Cloth Using Baking Soda
Here comes the first step. Let’s see what you’ll have to do in the first step.
- Get a container and mix 4 cups of water and one cup of baking soda.
- Next, fill your sink and bathtub with scented cloth and pour the mixture into it. If you don’t have a sink league large enough use a bucket for this process.
- Now, soak the clothes in the solution. Swirl them around to assure that your clothes are soaked completely.
- Now leave it in the solution for 4-5 hours or for a whole night.
What not to do: Never pour baking soda directly on the clothes because it can be abrasive and may damage certain fabrics.
Step 2: Use Unscented Detergent to Wash It
We’re into the second step. Let’s get the to-do work in this step.
- In this step, first, remove your clothes from the bathtub/sink.
- Now sort the clothes considering the type and color of the fabric.
- Choose the proper washing cycle according to the cloth. For better understanding check fabric labels and instructions.
- Next, set the temperature of the water to moderately warm.
- Take an unscented detergent and add it to the dispenser.
- Now load the wash washer with clothes and turn it on to your wash cycle.
What not to do: Don’t use any scented detergent
Step 3: Use Distilled Vinegar to Rinse the Cloth
White vinegar is highly effective to break down the scented chemical compound of fabric softener. Let’s see what to do in this step.
- Measure ½ cup of vinegar and during the first rinse cycle add the vinegar to your wash load.
- Next, before the rise cycle is over, turn off your washing machine and let the cloth soak for around an hour.
- Now, repeat the rinse process using lukewarm water. It’ll ensure that there won’t be any residual vinegar odor.
Step 4: Air Dry the Clothes
Tip: It’s better to air-dry colored clothes indoors. Because sunlight can fade the clothing
Step 5: Repeat the process
Sometimes the scent is too strong. The above steps might not be enough to completely remove the scent. In that case, just repeat the process 1 to 4 once again, and hopefully, the smell will be completely gone.
Method 2: Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
If you don’t like to go with the first method, here is another method for you.
- Get a spray bottle and mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of lemon juice.
- Now, shake them to combine and spray the mixture onto the affected areas of the clothes.
- Allow the mixture to sit on the clothes for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, wash the clothes in a regular cycle with your usual laundry detergent.
- Finally, dry the clothes as normal and you’re done.
Method 3: Laundry Stripping Method
Here comes the final method and it’s for the most stubborn odor. Let’s see the process you should go through with this method.
- Get a container and mix 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4c laundry soap or 1/2c liquid castile soap, and
- 1/4 cup borax.
- Now put the clothes into the laundry sink and then pour the mixture.
- Now soak it properly and leave it for 4-12 hours, stirring occasionally
- Next put them into the washing machine and properly wash them using warm water and giving them an extra rinse.
- If you feel the smell is too strong then add ½ cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle.
- Finally, air dry the clothes and the scent should be removed permanently.
So, I hope you have understood – how to get fabric softener smell out of clothes.
So far you should figure out the appropriate process for you. However, if you are asking for the most effective one then I would suggest the first one for you. Remember just one shot might not be enough. So, try it twice if necessary.